Communities have a fundamental role in the continuous protection and safeguarding of ICH, specifically in the areas of transmission and sustainable practice. As recognized by UNESCO 2003 Convention, communities are central in maintaining the vitality and sustainability of living heritage. Furthermore, the Convention emphasizes community participation in identifying and defining ICH elements. NGOs are also recognized as critical actors for successful heritage safeguarding and interaction with communities. UNESCO-accredited NGOs are perceived to be competent in the ICH field to act in an advisory capacity to the Intergovernmental Committee.
NGOs communicate with communities at the grassroots level, where government resources often fail to extend. They act as important intermediaries between governments and communities to advocate increased community interests. Thus, building networks with NGOs strengthens engagement with communities and contributes to establishing ICH safeguarding schemes based on community needs. In this regard, ICHCAP builds the foundations of networks for community-related NGOs in the Asia-Pacific region to strengthen ICH transmission.
- Building networks among ICH communities, groups and individuals
- Building networks among ICH NGOs
- Publishing case studies on ICH safeguarding activities of NGOs
- ICH related communities, groups, individuals, NGOs, and others
- National Research Institute of Maritime Cultural Heritage of Korea, Hoi An Center for Cultural Heritage Management and Preservation, Dangjin City of Korea, UNESCO New Delhi Office, Banglanatak.com and others
- Expert Meeting for Building Network on Maritime ICH (2018-)
- Cooperative Projects for Safeguarding Tugging Rituals and Games in Asia(2013-)
- Asia-Pacific ICH NGO Conference (2014-, held every other year)
- 2020: ICH and Resilience in Crisis (November, Online)
- 2018: ICH NGOs towards Sustainable Development of Communities(November, Vietnam)
- 2016: Achieving SDGs through Safeguarding ICH(November, Republic of Korea)
- 2014: Towards Efficient Roles of NGOs for Safeguarding ICH in the Asia-Pacific Region(June, Republic of Korea)